GIS Applications Specialist / Geomatics Analyst – Position filled
First Resource Management Group Inc. (FRMG) is a growth-oriented forest management firm based in New Liskeard, Ontario, with a satellite office in Kirkland Lake. Our team directly manages 5 million hectares of Crown forest in northeastern Ontario. Our unique core competencies also allow us to provide forest management services to clients on other forests within Ontario and across Canada. We specialize in developing strategic and operational forestry plans and navigating the required review processes through to final approval. As well, we plan and implement silvicultural operations, operational compliance programs and third party environmental management systems. Our core focus on forestry planning and support allows our forest industry, government and First Nations clients to focus on their own core business activities.
FRMG rewards entrepreneurial leadership within our organization. Our growing remote sensing and carbon management programs now allow us to provide these innovative services to a wider range of clients.
We are currently seeking a self-motivated individual with the ability to work in a collaborative environment to join our information management team as a GIS Application Specialist and Geomatics Analyst.
- Support our GIS and Geomatics team with client services;
- Produce accurate high quality products for customers and on-time;
- Process GIS data and imagery into derivative products;
- Follow steps to solve GIS tasks and image processing problems related to client needs;
- Resolve issues raised by clients in a responsive manner.
Specific skills for this position:
- ArcGIS Desktop – ArcMap, ArcCatalog, Spatial Analyst;
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Access
- Knowledgeable in using SQL and other programming languages to build queries in ArcGIS and in relational databases (MS Access);
- Python programming;
- Undergraduate, M.Sc. or equivalent work experience in GIS, geomatics, remote sensing, or physical geography with a very strong GIS component.
- An inquisitive mind…we’re doing things differently;
- Don’t be meek but you also have to be a great listener to be sure you understand what our clients want;
- An expert who understands and appreciates the value of team… a well-seasoned team who has decades of experience in managing forests;
- A juggler…. our customers are excited to use our products and they look for results now!
- Details… details… you have to deliver detail, accuracy and precision;
- Passion for what you do and pride in your work;
- Analytical and problem solving ability;
- Self-motivated, organized, team player;
- Strong writing skills;
- Strong communicator.
Considered as Assets for this Position:
- Ability to apply commercially available and/or open source image processing software solutions and geographic information systems, including ArcGIS;
- Competency in statistics including multiple regression, exploratory data analysis and use of the R statistics package;
- Ability to develop customized editing tools in ArcGIS;
- Various methods of file storage and file transfer – FTP, Amazon AWS, Dropbox, etc.;
- Fluency in English. French is also an asset.
FRMG values an appropriate work-life balance for all of our team members. Our teleworking policy could provide you with the additional flexibility you need for long-term job satisfaction. Please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 24th, 2017.
Posted: March 13, 2017.