First Resource Management Group Inc. (FRMG) is a growth-oriented and innovative forest management firm based in New Liskeard, Ontario, with satellite offices in Kirkland Lake and North Bay. Our team provides forest management services on over 7 million hectares of Crown forest in Ontario. This creates unique diversity of forestry challenges and opportunities to learn from other technical professionals. We model many spatial and non-spatial variables to determine how much and where timber should be sustainably harvested and replanted to meet ecological, social and economic objectives. Our core focus on forestry planning and support allows our forest industry, government and First Nations clients to focus on their own core businesses. We are active in the forest carbon market. Our SkyForestTM remote sensing technology is being used in forests across Canada.
FRMG rewards entrepreneurial leadership, innovation, continual improvement, a focus on customer satisfaction, and dedication to team work within our organization. Some of our team members work remotely from Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.
We are currently accepting resumes from motivated individuals to join our team as a Forest Estate Modeller tasked with using linear programming and other modeling techniques to model forests.
Qualities and Qualifications
Your strong modeling skills will allow you to develop complex models of forests dynamics over 200 years, to meet social, environmental and economic objectives with many spatial constraints. You will work within a collaborative environment with professionals from other fields. You are a good team player. You work well under pressure.
Drawing upon your excellent project management experience, you will develop approaches that lead to cost-effective outcomes.
You have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following forestry related fields:
1. Good foundation in operations research. “Must haves” are very strong in linear programming, mixed integer programming, and metaheuristics. Includes experience with major optimization packages like Gurobi, CPLEX, AMPL, AIMMS.
2. Experience storing, preparing, and manipulating large datasets including relational databases, GIS, and CSV. Experience with geodatabases, ESRI or QGIS is an asset. Experience with a cloud platform like Amazon Web Services recommended.
3. Highly skilled in a major scientific programming language. Python probably most desirable because of its versatility, but C++, R, Java, or similar could be okay too.
4. Must be genuinely interested in forestry and enjoy communicating results with non-mathematicians.
5. Nice to have is experience with software development tools particularly the version control tool, git.
About Working for First Resource Management Group
FRMG values an appropriate work-life balance for all of our team members. Our teleworking policy could provide you with the additional flexibility you need for long-term job satisfaction. We have a diverse working environment with both young and old professionals that work together in a collaborative environment. We invest in our employees through training and professional development. We empower our employees to take ownership of their work and to communicate with the rest of the team on a regular basis.
Work hours are flexible, as long as you get the job done. We have a comprehensive benefits program including life and health insurance, RRSP and vehicle use.
To make sure we pick the right people for our team, we usually interview potential candidates more than once.